Our waitress insisted that we order a side of brussels sprouts with the tacos. I am never one to turn down brussles sprouts. The brussles sprouts were awesome.
When I was eating the tacos, I wished that the brussels sprouts were in the tacos. So the next day I made myself some brussles sprout tacos. Brussels sprout tacos are AWESOME.
crisp kale + brussels sprout tacos with avocado + a white bean "creama"
1 large shallot, sliced
1 tablespoon of grapeseed oil (or another high-heat oil)
2 cups of brussels sprouts, thinly sliced lengthwise
4-5 kale leaves, stalks removes, and finely chopped
the juice of 1/2 of a lime
salt + pepper + red pepper flakes
1 avocado, chopped
6-8 small soft taco tortillas (if you want this recipe to be gluten-free, find a brand that states it is gluten-free, or you can also make your own)
for the white bean creama:
1 16oz can of canellini beans
1 small clove of garlic, minced
3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar
a large pinch of cilantro leaves, chopped
salt + pepper + red pepper flakes, to taste
optional - a small squeeze of lime juice
1 tablespoon or so of water (if you need to thin it out a little)
- Start by making the white bean creama. Place all of the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Add water if you need to thin it out a little, but not too much because you do not want it to be runny. Taste and adjust the seasoning accordingly.
- Place the oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook for 1-2 minutes. Then add the brussels sprouts. Cook for 8-10 minutes, until brown, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the kale and season with the salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Stir everything and then add the lime juice. Stir again and cook for a couple of minutes until the kale has wilted. Remove from the heat, toss in the chopped avocado and set aside in a separate bowl.
- If you like, you can lightly toast the tortillas in a small frying pan. I do this over low heat for a few minutes on each side until they are a light brown.
- Serve warm with a smear of white bean creama on the tortilla as the base and the brussels and kale on top.